Sunday, March 4, 2012

Emma Dyan is Here!

I started this... never finished it... but here it is, lol...

As I write this Emma is peacefully sleeping in her swing... She is 3 weeks old now and almost 7 pounds. Here is her birth story...

On Wednesday October 26th we were told Emma would be here on Monday October 31st... my birthday. We were being induced because of the fluid around Emma's lung. We had been watching it for a couple weeks and it wasn't going away. So Dr. Hole said lets get her out and we can drain the fluid. I had the weekend to prepare. They wanted to see me for a quick ultrasound at the hospital before they started the induction to check the fluid one last time so they could let the NICU team know what the current situation was. They also did a quick check to see if I was dialated at all. I was 2 cm and 50 % effaced.. so that was a good start. I was told I would get right in to a room... well that was a lie... I had my ultrasound at 8 am... didn't get into a room until around 2 pm... The started pitocin around 3... I progressed pretty quickly. They broke my water around 5 pm and I was 3 cm and 75 % effaced..Got my epidural around 7:30 and she arrived at 8:50 pm w/ 2 pushes she was out! Weighing in at 6 pounds 0.7 ounces and 19 inches long. She was beautiful! I cried. It was the most emotional birth I've had! The NICU team was there, so they got her all cleaned up, I got to hold her for a quick minute or two and they she was wisked away to the NICU. Tim followed. We didn't know what was going to happen. The nurse brought me some food and I waited for the epidural to wear off enough so I could go see my daughter.

Emma was in the NICU for 6 days. They drained fluid from her lung w/ a syringe and we had to wait to see if it would come back. Thankfully it never did. She did get jaundice and got light therapy. She was able to breastfeed as soon as she was allowed to. I was so thankful, because I read a lot of things that said this might be a struggle.  So here are some pics from her hospital stay.

First time holding my Emma Dyan

In the NICU right after they drained the fluid

"K" Care





Going Home!

1 comment: